Sunday, July 10, 2011

My Experience: Dry Skin, Use Sleeping Mask as a Serum

My skin type is normally combination, slightly oily at the t-zone and dehydrated at the cheeks.

Recently, my skin has been very dry and even flaky at the nose area. So I have been trying all means and ways to rehydrate my skin. Dry skin is a pain as it hurts at times when using certain skin products and causes my skin to be more sensitive than usual and my eczema sometimes flares up as well.

The routine I have been sticking with has been working well:

Cleansing: Shu Uemura cleansing oil. Avene gel cleanser
Toner: Clinique Clarifying Moisture Lotion 2
Serum: Laneige Water Sleeping Pack
Moisturiser: La Mer Creme de La Mer

Yes, I have been using Laneige Water Sleeping Pack as a serum, before moisturiser every night and I find it works nicely as a hydrating serum and a wonderful water boost for my skin. It takes a while to absorb and sink in, but it's like I am using a hydrating mask and then using the Creme de la Mer to seal the moisture in. I find that this works better than the other way round: Creme de la Mer then Laneige Water Sleeping Pack. I can't explain why but the effect is just different. In the mornings, I wake up with everything absorbed. My skin is not oily in the mornings but nicely moisturised. Unfortunately, by mid day my skin gets dry again (might be the office air con).

I would only recommend this routine if your skin is really dry or dehydrated like mine as it is this routine is not only rich in moisture but also in oil content. Dry skin means lacking in both oil and moisture, dehydrated skin lacks moisture but not oil. The Creme is really rich in the sense that it is very emollient and acts as a good barrier to prevent moisture loss. This is why I always have a tub of creme de la mer with me cos its the best to use in such skin changes and emergency situations like sensitive reactions.

So, if you have dry skin, you can try using your sleeping mask as a serum before an emollient (rich, oily) moisturiser. It might work better than using it as the last step.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"