Saturday, August 28, 2010

Review: La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Fluide Extreme SPF50+


La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Fluide Extreme SPF50+ is the latest sunscreen I have been trying out after using Kose Sekkisei Sun Protection SPF50 (which I really liked). This La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL is highly raved online due to the Mexoryl SX+XL which provides long lasting wide spectrum protection against both UVB and UVA rays. It also has a PPD rating of 38, which is very high. To read more about PPD (Persistent Pigment Darkening and how it compares to the PA+++ Japanese ratings that we are used to, this is a good website) According to that website, a PA+++ rating translates to a PPD rating of 8+. This means the La Roche-Posay's Anthelios Xl PPD is considered very high and it is even recommended for people with sun allergy!

The La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL Fluide Extreme SPF50+  has a milky and light tecture. It is very watery and spreads easily on my skin. I don't think that it absorbes fast despite the alcohol content which usually is there to speed up absorption. I think that the alcohol is very drying on my skin and if I use this sunblock near my eye area, I get biting sensations the whole day. This is a very clear indicator that its is too drying for my skin. I think that if I repurchase I should get the cream version instead. The Fluide Extreme is stated to be suitable for people with sensitive skin and is suitable for those with normal to combination skin. My advice would be to avoid the eye area and use a separate sunblock for the eye area.

The Fluide Extreme leaves a white cast on my skin after applying it and after letting it settle in, the whiteness is reduced but still very visible. I usually use foundation after it to reduce the whiteness and the shine. I noticed that although it is drying, it also makes my skin greasy. I wonder if because it makes my skin dry and causes my face to produce oil or is it the product formulation. I have to use powder and I also have an oily feeling throughout the day.

I think that this sunscreen is not my HG as many others have claimed. I really like the high PPD rating as it would help prevent wrinkles and pigmentation but I don't like the alcohol and the greasy after feel. At price $41.90, it is considered slightly expensive for a drugstore brand, but it is good to purchase this when they are having promotion.

** Update 5/3/2011: I used the tinted version and got a skin reaction. The Anthelios XL Tinted fluid SPF50+ made my skin flushed with a burning warm feel. I had red skin the whole day. It was worse nearer the eye area. Tinted version is definitely too dark for NC20 skin colour. It will suit tanned skin tone better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"