Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Review: Avene Very High Protection Emulsion SPF50+

This was my favourite sunblock before I bought my Fancl Sunguard 30. The reason why I started using Avene was because I bought the Neutrogena Dry Touch SPF50 Sunblock and it burnt my skin. When applied on, my skin started turning red and felt like I was getting a sunburn. The same happened with Lancester whitening sunblock and Olay Total Effects SPF15. So I thought that maybe I have some sensitivity to an ingredient in those sunblocks and so I bought the Avene as it is meant for sensitive skin. As I have combination skin, the lady recommended the Emulsion to me as it is lighter in texture.

The sunblock is slightly runny lotion consistency and is able to spread easily. Some people claim that it is matte when applied, for me there is always a shine. It leaves a white cast but only slightly.

It was my favourite sunblock and I bought many tubes of this especially when it came in a promo pack with the Avene Thermal Spring Water Spray in small size.  The reason why I wanted to change sunblock was because I noticed a bit of flaking (white rubbings similar to eraser rubbings) when I apply my sunblock after my skincare routine. This happens especially when I have more skincare products. This also happens if I happen to be a bit ambitious to get more sunblock on my skin for better protection, it will start to rub off in white bits. This doesn't happen with Fancl, which is why I have been repurchasing Fancl all these while.

So what I tend to do is simplify my skincare routine when I use the Avene Very High Protection Emulsion. And I usually try to use a lesser amount and try to spread it out as fast as I can. I don't know if they changed the formulation or it was my skincare products as this never happened until after many tubes and I started to have problems with flaking.

I still am using Avene along with Fancl Sunguard 30. I use Avene more for my arms and neck while I use Fancl for my face.

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Avene SPF50+ emulsion!!! I've only recently started using it coz it was on sale & I bought like 3 tubes coz my current sunblock (Hamilton Everyday Faces SPF30+) is due to finish anytime soon. I used the Avene SPF50+ emulsion this morning and at 345pm now as we speak, my skin is not oily at all..and the thing bout Avene sunblock leaving a whitish cast, thats not the case for my skin. It seems to sit & blend perfectly with my ski tone, type and texture. Will definitely repurchase once I finish all of my 3 tubes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Good to know that Avene works so well for you! =) I find that the slight white cast is a very small problem but the flaking of the product is a bigger problem for me. Do you experience that? I think it only happened after my 3rd/4th tube, so I'm wondering if the formulation changed.

    And I always found it strange that Avene won't appear matte on my skin.

    This really is a product that works differently for different skin types! =) Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought it too. Like it initially but i realised my skin is having problems after I use this product. It seems like my skin gets a very thick layer of dead skin cells after consistent use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, oh no. I've read that someone got pimples/bumps from using this sunblock. But others love it as their holy grail sunblock. Perhaps you can try more fluid type sunblocks like La Roche Posay. =)

    You can use your Avene for your body. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I've been using this product for a few years now and I've also noticed recently that it flaks when I use it. I wonder if it's because it's interacting with the SK II products I've switched to! I actually find this product too oily and the white cast really bothers me. However, I have pretty sensitive skin so I really don't know which brand of sunscreen to switch to. I've read reviews about La Roche Posay Anthelios XL Fluide Extreme SPF 50+ and I think that will also pose the same white cast problem. Any suggestions on which brand I can switch to?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I have read that people who experience flaking wit Avene emulsion tried to rub into the sunblock before applying onto the face- as in squeeze onto palm then use a finger and make circular movements before application. This is to smooth out the product. Try and see if it works.

    La Roche Posay is good for sensitive skin. I experienced white cast, which was okay after some bb cream. You can try Heliocare gel spf50 as well. It is meant for sensitive greasy to normal skin.

    hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Can you please tell me where I can buy the Heliocare Gel SPF50 in S'pore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Babe, just sharing that I manage to buy the sunblock at a good price on Qoo10! http://list.qoo10.sg/g/406160279

      Delete
  8. Hi, I know heliocare can be bought at hospital pharmacies as some dermatologists recommend it to their patients. I was recommended to buy heliocare by the nurse at NUH =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"