Tuesday, November 24, 2009

DIY Your Moisturiser with Rose Hip Oil and Hyaluronic Acid!


There are ingredients that I like but can hardly find products that I like, so I have yet to find my ideal holy grail moisturizer.
A very good example of an ingredient I like is Rose Hip Oil. The brand of Rose Hip Oil I use is Trilogy (I prefer this to Renew, both available at Watsons Ngee Ann City) however the Trilogy brand moisturisers are cream-based and too thick for our humid climate. I also find that using Rose Hip oil alone as a moisturiser too oily. So what I do is I customise my moisturisers.

Rose Hip Oil:
Rose Hip Oil contains Omega 3, 6 & 9, essential fatty acids and antioxidants to restore optimum skin health. Trilogy Certified Organic Rosehip Oil has been clinically tested and shown to help minimise the appearance of wrinkles, smooth skin and dramatically improve skin moisture levels, leaving the skin's appearance radiant and glowing.
I like to use emulsion/lotion form moisturisers and find moisturisers like the Trilogy moisturising cream too rich and thick for our humid climate. Because normal moisturiser have ingredients to emulsify oil-based ingredients into a cream form, the rose hip oil will easily 'combine' and melt into your moisturiser, making it a moisturiser with all the benefits of Rose Hip Oil!

My routine.. :  Pump out the amount of moisturiser you use for your daily skincare regime onto your palm, add one drop of rose hip oil and mix (I usually add one drop, I add two drops if my face feels dry, dull, tired or if I want to massage my face for a longer time). Apply onto face and massage, spray some Avene thermal spring water to emulsify rose hip oil and gently massage skin and press into skin. To increase absorption of your moisturiser, rub your two palms together to warm them, then cup if over your face. 

Hyaluronic Acid:
Hyaluronic is another well-loved skincare ingredient with highly moisturising properties. Hyaluronic acid can lock moisture in your skin and itself absorb up to many times of water content as compared to the original size of the hyaluronic molecule. It is also essential for maintaining collagen in our skin. Hyaluronic acid Advanced Hydrating Serum II from Niu Er's Biobeauty is where I get my dose of hyaluronic acid into daily skincare regime. Many skincare products have small amounts of Hyaluronic Acid in it but I feel that it isn't sufficient for enough of the wonderful benefits of Hyaluronic Acid.

What I do...? On top of adding one drop of Rose Hip oil, I also add one drop of Hyaluronic Acid Serum into my moisturiser. I skip the step of this hydrating serum as I use whitening and other serums and do not want to burden my skin with an additional layer. Most products already contain hyaluronic acid and adding an additional drop to boost the benefits of your moisturiser by giving your skin more moisture.

On top of that, cream-based moisturisers are usually too thick and rich for my liking as they leave my skin sticky. If I do happen to have a cream, using less of the cream and adding the hyaluronic acid will help to 'dilute' your moisturiser to make it less thick and more similar to an lotion, whilst using the hyaluronic acid to provide moisture.

Share your skincare DIY experiences with me!


3 comments:

  1. I'm using similar Rose Hip Oil too, from Sukin, an Australian brand. In Malaysia, compared to Triology, it's cheaper but it's 100% Organic too. Not sure about their difference in effects though.

    Normally I drop 1 drop onto my palm then smooth and massaged around my face before moisturizer.

    It sounds like a good idea to mix the rose hip oil or other serum with the moisturizer! Will try it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops mistake! It's Renew Rose Hip Oil, not Sukin..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"