Monday, August 29, 2011

Review: Avene Instant Smoothing Moisture Mask


Product information (source: avene.co.uk): Specific care for dehydrated and weakened sensitive skin which has become reactive (redness, tightness and stinging) due to various aggressions. The Soothing Moisture Mask is a genuine pampering care for your skin: Very rich in Avène Thermal Spring Water, this mask intensely releases all of the water’s soothing and anti-irritating properties. Its nourishing and moisturising elements restore the skin's barrier and thus increase skin hydration. This original formula has been designed for maximum skin absorption: fully replenished, the skin looks healthy and is once again soft, supple, and radiant

Review:
I bought this mask when my eczema was at its worst. Full red, slightly swollen, itching and stinging, dry patches all around my cheeks, forehead, jaw area and near my chin area. Basically everywhere except my nose and central chin area, i suspect because the t-zone is slightly oilier so it acted as a barrier against my eczema.

I was using Avene Skin Balancing Cream but I felt it was not rich enough and my skin was still very very dry. I read the instructions of the Avene Instant Soothing Moisture Mask and it said that if skin is highly irritated, the mask can be used as a daily treatment for a week before reducing usage to once a week. So what I did was a used a thick layer of Avene Instant Smoothing Moisture Mask, didn't wipe any of it off after 10-15 minutes and layered the Avene Skin Balancing Cream on top (yes, that was how dry and irritated my skin was). After doing that for a few days and applying topical medication, my eczema improved.

Thereafter, with less severe eczema or any sign of skin redness. I noticed this mask did help to calm my skin down. And it did help alleviate skin dryness, which is a good thing as my skin gets really dry when it is sensitive/irritated.

When my skin is at a normal condition, I noticed that not much effects is observed. So I would only use this mask when I have eczema/sensitivity/irritation/dryness. If your skin is normal or combination with no sensitivity. I think you would not notice much effects with this mask. But if you have any of the above mentioned skin signs, then this mask is helpful.

One word of caution, this mask does contain potential pore clogging ingredients, like mineral oil and other really rich and emollient ingredients. So I would use it with caution if you have oily skin or are prone to clogged pores. I have read that some people wash off the mask completely with water to prevent getting clogged pores. I don't do this and only dab any excess off with tissue if it feels oily as I need the oiliness to combat my dry skin.

All in all, great mask to have on hand for any emergencies, to calm skin sensitivities, dryness and eczema.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"