Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Review: Cetaphil UVA/UVB Defense SPF50+/UVA 28

Product Information:
Specifically formulated as a facial moisturizer, Cetaphil® UVA/UVB Defense SPF 50 provides broad spectrum UV protection with an optimum blend of five filters. The moisturizing formula hydrates the skin for 8 hours and absorbs quickly. Micronized Titanium Dioxide leaves no filmy white residue. Non-greasy, lightweight, fragrance-free, non-irritating, and non-comedogenic, this moisturizing product is ideal for daily facial use (source: cetaphil.com).

I have been seeing this sunscreen around at watsons and pharmacies and have been wanting to try it as the UV protection seemed quite high at SPF50+/UVA 28. I am assuming this UVA 28 is equivalent to PPD 28 as the Cetaphil brand is under Galderma Laboratories, which is a swiss pharmaceutical company. To read more about PPD (Persistent Pigment Darkening and how it compares to the PA+++ Japanese ratings that we are used to, this is a good website) According to that website, a PA+++ rating translates to a PPD rating of 8+. Cetaphil is recommended by some dermatologists and seemed like a reliable brand so I got myself a tube.


Besides the high UV protection, the Cetaphil UVA/UVB Defense has no white cast and is easily spreadable across my face. But it is really greasy, despite what the product info says. The sunscreen just sits on top of my skin and does not seem to absorb. It feels as though there is an oily film of sunscreen on my skin. I really didn't like it. I applied it in the morning and by afternoon I really wanted to wash it off. I was glad I was home if not I would have looked like an oil field. I tried it a few more times and it was still as bad. I decided not to use this Cetaphil UVA/UVB Defense anymore and chucked it away. Perhaps I will use it on my body instead.

I looked at the Cetaphil.com website and it said this sunscreen contained oxybenzone, an ingredient I don't like in my sunscreen as it makes my skin burn and turn red and irritated. So this is even more reason to not stick with this sunscreen. At makeupalley.com, the reviews were just as bad and it is rated 2.7 out of 5.

This sunscreen is not that cheap. Price: $36.90  for 50ml. I will not purchase this again.

1 comment:

  1. You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. Daily Moisturizer with SPF

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
ondragstart="return false" onselectstart="return false"